Monday, June 30, 2014

Growing the rituals of elderhood

Dear Friends and Readers,
Summer 2014 is here, and I have lit a new fire -- a sacred candle-- to draw the inspiration up and out into the world. In the coming weeks, starting mid-July,  I will be working my way through the elder work written by Angeles Arrien called The Second Half of Life Opening the Eight Gates of Wisdom. My motivation stems from the recent passing of my brother David. He was 64 years old, my only brother, a rascal-trickster, Vietnam vet, and a man born, and passed to spirit, on a Full Moon. The weeks leading up to his physical death and the weeks that led up to his burial and day of his life celebration have been, and are, a time of deep initiation for me. 



Angeles Arrien who herself passed shortly before my brother has said we, as a culture, are not very skilled at maintaining interest or attention, especially when life/things get hard. Even less skilled and practiced, our culture does not recognize the signs and rituals of initiation and practice of closings/endings/death. It is that insight that prods me to become more aware of rites of passage, and the second half of life's gifts. 


The Eight Gates of Wisdom described by Angeles Arrien include:


  • The Silver Gate "Facing New Experiences and the Unknown"
  • The White Picket Gate "Changing Identities, Discovering One's True Face"
  • The Clay Gate "Intimacy, Sensuality, and Sexuality"
  • The Black and White Gate "Relationships: The Crucible of Love, Generosity, Betrayal, and Forgiveness"
  • The Rustic Gate "Creativity, Service, and Generativity"
  • The Bone Gate "Authenticity, Character, and Wisdom"
  • The Natural Gate "The Presence of Grace: Happiness, Satisfaction, and Peace"
  • The Gold Gate "Nonattachment, Surrender, and Letting Go"

I have not set a structured agenda for the work and discoveries that will come from this study, and practice. With this announcement, and your interest, a mutually agreed upon process will be encouraged.  I feel called to do the threshing work at each of these eight gates and grow my understanding of rituals and practices as makua o'o.  As a beginning time-frame we might consider an eight-week commitment, beginning July 14th, 2014? Your input will be welcome.

I would like to invite you to join me, and work with me, or study independently sharing what comes for you at your pace and rhythm. The book The Second Half of Life is written clearly and in what I have come to see as Angeles Arrien's "mystical work with practical feet" style. Included at the end of each chapter there are questions and reflections to answer,sense and practice. Integration is vital in soul work grounded in doing the footwork. These questions and reflections will serve as the foundation for the exploration and study, but will not be limited to them, as magic will not be contained we will welcome the unexpected and leave an empty chair for it!



If you are at a point where the second half of life holds unanswered questions for you, or maybe you have discoveries and adventures you'd like affirmed, I hope some of you will join me at this new form of pumping inspiration up and out into the world. FYI I purchased my copy of The Second Half of Life from Sounds True. Here's the link if you'd like to read about the book, and get purchase information.

The study and sharing time will be free of charge. The group will be a private study space where our discoveries are shared in respectful and sacred space. We will experience the intiations and the guidance at the same time, maturing and discovering where we are individually as makua o'o. If you are interested in joining me email me at mokihanacalizar@gmail.com for more information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak from the heart